Wednesday, August 20, 2008

she works hard for the money...

So time for a life update even though the majority of you who read this got caught up at Celina and Tommy's Wedding this weekend. Since my last post, I not only got 1 job but 2! However, they are both part-time with no benefits unless you count all Chinese food I can eat for 50% off! Now we're talking. 

First I work part-time at PF Changs...yes, yes, get out all the laughs out now as you imagine the most clumsy and slightly awkward person deliver very large and hot trays in a very crowded restaurant. Add a very unfortunate uniform and a scary freezer, and you have my life. My official title is back waiter even after a week of training and a food test because alas I have no formal restaurant training to be
considered a server. Who would have thought that a college degree with 2 majors would not really prepare you for the real world?! 

However, I do find the job very fun because 
1) it's challenging and I'm learning ALOT about myself and Chinese food 
2) i'm meeting people I wouldn't normally hang out with and maybe just maybe I can be a good witness to them
3) the money is suppose to be good (however i'm not really sure how tip sharing works yet). 

So by nights I work food and by day I work at a really really cool job! I work for the JKL foundation writing policy and procedures, job descriptions, and strategic plans for a non-profit organization called H.I.S. BridgeBuilders. Through educational classes, GED certification, an eye glass and dental clinic, and various other ministries, the BonTon community (INNER CITY DALLAS) has been transformed and I am so blessed any time I volunteer. If anyone else is interested in volunteering there with me, please let me know! I would love to take you! Anywho, I have been volunteering there, when I could, for about the last 5 years and I hope that my work here will be able to help this ministry go to the next level. It is the model to be taken nationwide as the example for successful faith based initiatives. Not to mention I have a beautiful office on the 7th floor with 3 huge windows that mesmerize me every time I look out them (but that's just a bonus). I am trusting that God will take this opportunity and build it into something better than I can imagine. Until then, I'm working hard for the money! 

Meredith and I have been trying really hard to think of things to do so when we go home after work we don't go just to bed like we want to so we have come up with a couple of things to do. Our first adventure was today when Amanda, Meredith, and I went to Paint Yer Pottery to get our mosaic on. It WAS an adventure. First the women working at the store was a crazy-o but Meredith just convinced me it was because she was an "artist" and she lacked the people skills to be normal, but I know plenty of normal artists so agree to disagree. Second of all, if you are a perfectionist I would suggest staying far far away from mosaics unless you have the best glue because as Meredith discovered, the tiles are slippery when trying to mosaic a round pot. I did enjoy decorating mine with blues and white tiles to match my comforter. Amanda's was really cute with pastel colors and she is so creative with her tile cutting. Meredith's was named "Baylor Ole" because it was a cross between the themes of Cinco de Mayo, Baylor, and Olympic Rings. It was cute despite the description but Meredith left downtrodden and refusing to ever mosaic again. However, I say you get right back on that horse...

Stay tuned for more adventures as we try to discover how to be cool as two single baptist girls in the city! I think we should have a tv show but it would a very very boring tv show that would show us driving around or watching the olympics... well it's 10 pm now so it's time for bed :) but I wish I was kidding.  


oh, and I'm legally required to put this in my blog. heheh. 

*The ideas expressed in this blog no way reflect the opinions of PF Changs and they can not be held responsible* 

or something like that... blessings and love! 

3 comments:

Meredith's Mémoires said...

soooo haaaaard for the mo-ney.

Meredith's Mémoires said...

olympic cry baby.

Amy said...

i LOVE the disclaimer at the bottom. i seriously just laughed out loud!