Friday, October 17, 2008

little boxes of awkwardness.

Elevators. why are they like the black hole of awkwardness?!

I swear some of my most uncomfortable moments happen in elevators. I work on the 7th floor of a building so of course, i take the elevator about 6 times a day (go to work, get breakfast, go upstairs, get lunch, go upstairs, leave for the day). I get onto an elevator by myself about 80% of the time but then there is the other 20% of the day that is usually a total hot mess of uncomfortableness. now i'm sure i'm exaggerating the condition of awkwardness but there really is NO good way to start and end a proper convo on the elevator but I can't help myself because there is nothing worse in my head then "dead time" where all occupants of the elevator just pretend there are no other individuals in the same elevator. Adding to the difficulty of ignoring others is that the entire door wall is a mirrow - meaning you stare at each other no matter what angle you are looking. Usually people just check themselves out, pull/adjust their clothing, rummage through their bags, stare down at their cell phones, and the list goes on of convo avoider activities.

IF a convo is started, it usually revolves around the weather, sports, or politics. I can manage a quick little quip about the debate, the cowboys, or "staying dry" to bring the other individuals a quick smirk. My parents would claim elevators make me uncomfortable because our generation is technology driven and we can't handle human contact anymore. I disagree. I think people are just weird. But I was wondering everyone's thoughts on elevators? how do you start a convo? got any tips on how to handle this seemingly routine human encounter? Is it me? or is it the elevator?

blessings and love!

2 comments:

Jen McCrady said...

wow, the mirror makes it soooo much more awkward! if it's a girl, i might compliment her shoes or something... no idea with a guy though. i'd probably just not say anything even if it was awkward. i think the older i get, the worse my social skills are!!

Celina said...

when I get on the elevator at work, usually I'm hoping that 1)my client won't attack me in the privacy of the elevator, 2) they won't say something inappropriate to the other poor soul in the elevator, or 3) that they won't have a panic attack. so enjoy your awkwardness! ha!